Tuesday, November 22, 2011

As Requested: Ugg Boots

My sister-in-law asked me to do a piece on what to wear with Ugg boots. I'm not sure if this was out of spite of them or if she is actually pro-Ugg. Whether you are pro- or con- the Uggs, you cannot deny the fact that they are super warm and cozy; there probably aren't warmer or cozier shoes on the planet, at least ones that are ready to face the elements.

Now, I'm not going to take sides in this seemingly everlasting argument over whether or not Ugg boots are stylish. This is mainly because of the fact that it's a moot point, and that I don't own Ugg boots, only imitation Bear Paw boots, of which I wear on my 'dress down' days. However, UggAustralia has the right idea, they are now making amazing rain and snow boots! Check out these http://www.uggaustralia.com/womens-adirondack-II-snow-boots/5469,default,pd.html?dwvar_5469_color=GREY&start=2&cgid=women-boots-weather-performance I'm hoping maybe Santa will bring me a pair this Christmas!! (black or grey, Mom!! I think I like the grey more) Like I said, I'm not taking sides, but if you want my [professional?] opinion I'd say that they should not be worn for style. They simply do not offer the substance, color or silhouette to support a good outfit (and no, the knitted or button boots don't make up for it, those are worse because it's the wrong kind of substance, stick with the classics in tan) However, if you are still a supporter of the 'Uggs are Stylish' movement, here is my advice:

Stay away from denim and solids
Ugg boots are a blob of solid color as it is, the last thing you want to do is pair them with solid-colored jeans or leggings. Wear them with patterned tights and a skirt.

Create depth with layers
Wear knee high socks over your tights. Creating these layers will add contrast, interest and depth to the solid color of your boots. But... ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WEAR SOCKS OVER JEANS OR JEGGINGS! Please don't even wear jeggings. I apologize for standing on my soapbox about this (because I like to keep my blog positive and open to other people's styles) But there is no reason for anyone to EVER wear long socks over jeans. I mean, would you try to wear tights over a pair or jeans? Would you try to tuck boot-cut jeans into a pair of socks?  Point made--good, back to the advice. You can trade the long socks in for some leg warmers if you want to create more interest with something thicker and with a larger knit pattern.

Bold on top
Even with the layering and patterns on the bottom, you may look slightly monotone if you stick with all solid layers on top. If you prefer the solids, contrast the look with a sparkly or patterned headband or scarf.



Note: I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wearing these boots with jeans and a sweatshirt to class or grocery shopping or whatever (I do this quite frequently) I'm simply saying that an outfit like that is not considered stylish and that is including the boots. I think of Uggs as on the same level as sweatpants...

I will post a picture when I return to Pullman, as I am currently sitting at a Starbucks in Bellevue, and even at home, I do not have boots or all the necessities for this outfit.

patience is a virtue, b

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to start posting more specific questions on here now lol. I have 2 questions, non related to this particular post..question 1. I've noticed some stores like Express are starting to sell colored jeans like bright pinks and red and aqua blue what's your opinion on this, personally my bff brought a pair of light purple jeans from Romania here and I really liked them and have yet to find a pair like them. Question 2. Are straight jeans ever going to go out of style anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cari, I personally LOVE colorful denim, I am yet to own a pair but I've seen people pull them off and it always looks great. If you get a pair, go with a color that you don't have a lot of in your closet, this will vary your wardrobe, AND you'll have other colors to wear them with. I would wear them with either neutral colored boots, or wedges in a contrasting color, then keep it simple on top with white, black or any other neutral tones, and layered necklaces. If you want to buy a pair, I'd suggest urbanog.com.

    Colorful denim you most likely won't find in anything other than a skinny, BUT I will have you know that skinnies are actually starting to go out of style! Boot cut and even flare legs are coming back-helloooooo 70s!

    ReplyDelete